Smith has a very long history of suspensions, fines and cheap shots. He has been suspended for 27 games and has been fined well over a million dollars in his career. Here’s a review of his history of trouble.
Suspensions for Cheap Shots
This isn’t the first time that Smith has taken a cheap shot at a Celtics player in a playoff series. In the 2013 postseason, Smith threw an elbow at Jason Terry that earned him a one-game suspension:
On Nov. 5 2014, Smith was suspended one game for hitting Glen Rice Jr. in the groin:
Lastly, Smith was suspended for 10 games in 2006 after his cheap shot incited a massive brawl:
- In Sept. 2013, Smith was suspended five games for violating the NBA’s anti-drug policy
- In Aug. 2009, Smith was suspended seven games for a guilty plea in a reckless driving case that resulted in the death of a friend in his car
- In 2007, suspended by Denver for the first three games of the season for conduct detrimental to the team
- $50,000 for repeatedly untying opponents’ shoelaces during games
- $25,000 for getting into a twitter fight with Brandon Jennings
- $5,000 fine for flopping in a 2013 game against the Indiana Pacers
- $25,000 for posting a tweet of a scantily clad woman (nsfw)
- $25,000 for another cheap shot flagrant foul against Raja Bell in 2011 game against Utah
- Rumored to be fined over $1 million when playing overseas in China
With Smith’s history, he’s sure to be suspended for at least a game following the Crowder incident and add to his total of 27 games lost in his career.