Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on Thursday that the Atlanta Hawks plan to part ways with veteran point guard Jarrett Jack. Jack has been unable to participate in any practices or preseason games with Atlanta after suffering a torn ACL toward the end of last season when he was with the Brooklyn Nets.
Over the summer, Brooklyn decided against picking up his player option that would have paid him over $6 million this season. Atlanta then grabbed him on a one-year deal worth the league minimum in July.
His deal was guaranteed, so the $980,000-plus he is owed will count against the team’s salary cap.
The Hawks are fairly thin at the point guard position heading into the season. Dennis Schroder was promoted into the starting spot after the offseason trade of Jeff Teague while Malcolm Delaney is slated to be his backup. Will Bynum and Josh Magette are also with the team in training camp, but Vivlamore says they are both “long shots” to make the roster out of camp.
Head coach Mike Budenholzer had said earlier this week that Jack’s recovery will keep him sidelined even after the regular season begins next week.
The 32-year-old guard has bounced around the league a bit since being drafted by the Denver Nuggets out of Georgia Tech in 2005. Denver traded his rights on draft night to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for a pair of draft picks. He has also played for the Indiana Pacers, Toronto Raptors, New Orleans Hornets, Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers in addition to the Nets.
Jack has averaged 11.1 points and 4.5 assists over the course of his 11 NBA seasons. Atlanta’s roster now stands at 17 players.