New York Knicks’ head coach Jeff Hornacek said on Wednesday that point guard Derrick Rose will not return to the team until his trial is over, per Marc Berman of the New York Post. Rose, and two friends, are in the midst of a civil suit in Los Angeles that alleges that the three men sexually assaulted Rose’s then-girlfriend in 2013.
According to the Los Angeles Times, on Wednesday, a judge decided against declaring a mistrial in light of the fact that the defense failed to provide three text messages sent from the defendant to Rose near the time of the alleged incident sooner. The judge faulted the legal team for the mishap, but ultimately decided it was not important enough to call off the trial. The prosecution claimed that the failure to provide the text messages was “inadvertent,” but the judge ruled that jurors will be told of the error.
Elsewhere, the Los Angeles Times also reported that a Los Angeles Police Department detective that had been investigating the rape allegations against Rose was found dead in her home in Whittier – which is just south of Los Angeles – on Wednesday morning. Local authorities believe that the detective, 44-year-old Nadine Hernandez, died due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest on Tuesday.
Whittier Police issued the following statement as well:
“At this time, there are no signs of foul play, and this incident is being investigated as a suicide. However, this is an ongoing investigation.”
The accuser in the Rose case is reportedly seeking more than $21 million in damages. On the other hand, the Knicks have three preseason games remaining before the regular season begins on October 25.