The NBA inductions into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame this week. The festivities start on Thursday with the actual inductions on Sunday. Now, we have the full list of presenters that will go along with each of the inductees.
The full list, according to NBA.com, is:
- Zelmo Beaty, presented by Lenny Wilkens.
- Darell Garretson, presented by David Stern.
- Allen Iverson, presented by Larry Brown, Julius Erving and John Thompson.
- Tom Izzo, presented by Gary Williams.
- John McLendon, presented by Wayne Embry, Sam Jones, Isiah Thomas and Thompson.
- Shaquille O’Neal, presented by Erving, Alonzo Mourning, Bill Russell and Thomas.
- Cumberland Posey, presented by Earl Monroe.
- Jerry Reinsdorf, presented by Phil Jackson and Scottie Pippen.
- Sheryl Swoopes, presented by Van Chancellor and Nancy Lieberman.
- Yao Ming, presented by Dikembe Mutombo, Russell and Bill Walton.
Taking note of a few of these.
Allen Iverson having Larry Brown as a presenter is striking because the two feuded so much when they were together, but they have apparently mended their fences. Honestly, there couldn’t be a better choice to present him the award.
Shaquille O’Neal chose Bill Russell. The greatest center of one era will be presenting to the greatest center of another.
Yao Ming chose another international player to be one of his presenters in Dikembe Mutombo. But its’s curious he didn’t choose Hakeem Olajuwon. Not that it’s a necessity, but Yao inherited the mantle that once belonged to Hakeem in so many ways, it would have seemed “right.” Oh well. It’s his day. He gets to decide.
Jerry Reinsdorf will be presented by Phil Jackson and Scottie Pippen. I guess Michael Jordan wasn’t available, shocking as that sounds.