The New Orleans Pelicans have hired Alvin Gentry, a fun choice considering his offensive strategies and the presence of Anthony Davis. But with the selection of Gentry, there’s now only one open head coaching position left (unless there’s a surprise firing at some point) left for the recently fired Tom Thibodeau, and that job is with the Denver Nuggets.
Thibodeau hasn’t been linked to the Nuggets job, so it looks like he won’t have a head coaching gig next season, or any type of coaching job at all. I guess he could latch on as assistant somewhere or even take a non-NBA head coaching job, but all signs currently point to him just sitting the year out and waiting for a good opportunity to come along in the future.
Now we know Thibodeau is a basketball junkie, so it’s tough to imagine what he’d do with all that time away from the game, although he’s already gotten out and enjoyed himself since getting fired by the Bulls:
— ChicagoCutSteakhouse (@ChicagoCut) May 29, 2015
— George Lopez (@georgelopez) May 30, 2015
Former Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau in the Miller Park press box with Tony LaRussa
— Andrew Gruman (@AndrewGruman) May 30, 2015
First of all, props to George Lopez for not only getting Thibs’s last name wrong, but also his first. It’s only a few letters off, but still. Come on, man!
Anyway, it seems like Thibs is taking advantage of some of this time off. What else could he do if he takes the year off coaching? (Please feel free to make suggestions.)
– Bathe in the sweet, sweet money the Bulls will have to pay him to not coach next season. Thibs was fired with two years, $9 million left on his contract, and while his contract has offset language that would have gotten the Bulls off the hook for that if he got another gig, they’ll have to pay him until that happens:
– Have more time to continue his pursuit of Kate Upton. I know Upton is with Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander, but perhaps Thibs could give Verlander a run for his money. I mean, why wouldn’t a young model want to go out with a maniacal basketball coach? It sounds like a match made in heaven!
– Bar hop every night and clear out the supplies of ICE:
– Convince Kirk Hinrich to retire so the two can road trip across the country, with a special trip to Iowa to meet Kirk’s parents. The two also audition for True Detective Season 3.
– Become an ESPN analyst and have the pleasure of calling Bulls games with Jeff Van Gundy, where the two proceed to mercilessly rip the front office to shreds. John Paxson then tries to choke out both men on live TV. Somewhere, Vinny Del Negro cackles.
– Write a tell-all book detailing his awful relationship with Bulls management. I’d wait in line for that book.
– Sneak into the Advocate Center every day to use the personal shower that was installed in his now former office.
– Continue working on his first pitch abilities for the next time he’s hired and is called upon to throw a first pitch at a game for the local baseball team. I don’t think he got enough practice the first time.
– Go around coaching random rec league teams:
— Jeff Berest (@jeff_berest) May 30, 2015
– Film a reality show called “Thibs’s Travels” that features him galavanting across the globe.
– Become Today’s Fastbreak lead NBA analyst. I can dream.
– And last but not least, continue to watch endless hours of film, because of course: